Saturday, January 23, 2010

Easy, peasy notebook covers.....

I've been seeing a few very simple handmade notebooks around the place lately and thought, 'ooooh, I'd like to have a go at making little notebooks for evie', who ADORES having books to write everything in, from illustrated adventure stories through to instructional books on how to live in the wild - a notebook for later in life she informs me.......

I pulled a few old childrens books off the shelf in the op shop yesterday which I had scanned for good illustrations and at 20c a piece, thought I couldn't go wrong for value for money......

I carefully eased open the staples and separated the pages of each book, then chose a couple of pages with illustrations on that I thought were especially cute and used those as notebook covers......

I folded about 12 sheets of A4 paper in half {I used a cream coloured paper but you could use any colour you wanted}, inserted them inside the book page and stitched down the original fold...... I put a piece of ribbon half way down the cover and stitched that in place as I went....... the ribbon then became the tie to keep the notebook closed when not in use......

I added a rainbow colouring pencil tucked into the ribbon and also a little tag with a name on and sent evie off on her sleepover tonight with one for herself and another for her friend so they can have a fun time writing down all the things that 8 year olds like to write down.....

this is the back cover of one of the books..... I added a little button for detail and also as a way of keeping the ribbon in place......

easy, peasy, lemon, squeezy......

1 comment:

B-W said...

Easy, peasy yet super, duper! What a great way to show off lovely illustrations of tired story books. It's always a delight to pop in!