I have been beavering away making some bits and bobs for my sister who arrived last night (yipee!!) for a three week holiday with us. I wanted her to have some handmade goodness to come home to but I didn't want to blog about it until she had left English soil just in case she had a peek on my blog before she left!
I blogged about the gifts I made for my her visit last year and I enjoyed the process of making and giving so much that I wanted to do some more this year!
First off..... a hot water bottle cover! Now in this part of the world it is mid-summer and the temperatures are quite reasonable for this time of year but I know my sister, and I know that she will probably want a 'hottie' on the occasional evening while she is here!
I used this op shop find, cut off the arms and sides of the felted jumper and blanket stitched around the open edges leaving the bottom open. I covered a button and stitched that at the bottom just to keep the hottie inside the cover and the open polo neck means that the bottle can be emptied and filled without taking it out of the cover if you want.
I needle felted some naive lollipop flowers onto the front and Bob's your uncle, all done!
Next came some crocheting.
I made these two 'bowls' by crocheting, very loosely, some variegated pure wool into very floppy bowl shapes and then felting it in the washing machine. When they came out of the machine I reshaped them and left them to dry naturally.
Next came another pin cushion/scrap bucket/bits and bobs holder thingy. I made one of these for myself earlier this month and thought Dot might find one useful in her little bit of heaven back home.
Finally, I whipped up this water bottle sling using the pattern in Betz White's book Sewing Green. My sister ALWAYS has a water bottle with her and drinks more water than I thought was humanly possible so I thought this would be a useful gift for her.
The dark grey outer linen fabric is recycled from a pair of men's shorts that I found in the op shop, for the batting I used a felted wool jumper which also came from the op shop and the metal buckle loops were...... yup, you guessed it, also from an op shop, so this was quite a 'green' sewing project.
Well, Dot's here now so no doubt there will be lots of opportunity for more crafting over the coming weeks....... I'll keep you posted!
No comments:
Post a Comment