Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Repurposing books.....

after being to the Rose Street Artists Market in Melbourne a few Saturdays' ago, Dot and I were full of ideas which we wanted to try out. This was one idea for repurposing old books which we fell in love with and, with great enthusiasm, hit the op shops to find suitable books which we could repurpose. We both chose an old Little Golden Book and cut the very outer edge of the bind off so that the cover and pages were all separate. I then cut lots of different papers to the same size as the cover (I used various plain but textured paper, old wrapping paper, brown kraft paper and some sheets of lined paper from another note book) and then took the whole lot to a local book binding shop and got them to metal bind the edge. I added a button on the front and a thong tie with beads on the end to the back so that I can hold the book closed when it is not in use and I wove some ribbon into the binding (not sure about that yet, I may take it out and leave the binding plain). I also added a couple of sparkly flowers to the front. I don't feel I have finished with it yet..... I just don't know what more I want to do..... do you ever get that feeling?



This is such a fantastic way of, a) using old books for a new purpose; b) making yourself a 'one-of-a-kind' notebook or scrapbook; c) finding that very pertinent book for a friend and making them a 'one-off' creation. I am on the lookout for an old cookery book now to make into my weekly shopping list notebook and there are a number of other ideas brewing too!!

No comments: