Tuesday, March 3, 2009

gifts...

so now that my sister is 33,000ft up over russia or china somewhere
I thought I would post a little bit about the things I have been making for her.....
I didn't want to spoil the surprise by letting the cat out of the bag before she left.....







I had been making these fabric baskets and when I saw this classic 
Kaffe Fassett fabric in our local patchwork shop I knew I wanted to make one 
{or two} more with it.....

 I only bought a fat quarter of that and a fat quarter of linen/cotton mix 
and still had lots left over.....

I lined the baskets with a lime green sheeting fabric with tiny circles all over it......
the pattern for the basket is one I found here..... 
the dimensions that vlijtig gives makes the smaller of the two baskets
{roughly 5" x 5" x 3.5"} so I doubled the measurements and made 
one for myself {a nice big roomy one} and then I did one exactly
 in the middle of the two and the larger one for my sister is the result........



the second thing I have been making is a pair of slippers 
{as per a couple of previous posts}
I decided to use the lambswool and angora argyle sweater 
which I purchased last week and felted because it was so soft and cosy.....
I lined them with cotton flannelette and blanket stitched the two layers together.....

hope she likes them.... 
and hope they fit.....



these are just a little infront of the telly project, again in felt......
they are cupcake pincushions and a whole bunch of them on a 
plate would look great I reckon.....
they are made with a bottle top, some felt, a little hobby fill, 
embroidery thread and whatever embellishments you want....
I found the instructions for how to make them here.....



I also wanted to try my hand at carving with lino carving tools
 on pieces of eraser and this is one of my tentative first attempts for dottie.....
I was inspired by this very creative blogger/artist 
{who also makes the fabric baskets} to have a go and it is 
certainly something I would like to try more.....



and not wishing to limit that beautiful Kaffe Fassett 
fabric to the baskets, I decided to make a couple of fabric 
coasters for her bedside table too.....

ok, I think that is all for now..... I am very upcited about my sisters'
 imminent arrival and the fantastic amount of play time we are going to have together.....

1 comment:

Mandi said...

I'm sure she is going to love them! How lovely to have a pair of homemade cosy slippers just waiting for Dot to slip her feet into, especially after such a long journey.