I like to try and fit in a few moments of 'crafting' alongside the kids. It doesn't always work out
{infact it doesn't work out very often at all.....}
and sometimes ends in little accidents.......
crocheting works quite well, as I can sit with the kids to help them
with their tricky maths problems
{I'm actually very little use when it comes to tricky maths problems
but I like to pretend I have purpose in being there....}
anyway, last night I started to make a skirt for Evie
but it got late and I was tired and I didn't want to stay up any later to finish it,
hence my 'doing a little sewing' this morning
while the children tackled their own tricky maths problems......
I was using the very lovely and very simple pattern found here........
it is truly inspired and so easy, peasy, lemon squeezy.......
I used some very pretty cord that I bought at the Lark sale in July for the front panel.......
I followed Leonie's idea of top stitching down the side seams -
I liked the look {my stitching was a little dodgy though -
don't look closely, just appreciate it from a distance........}
I used some of the pretty blue poplin I got in Spotlight a couple of months ago for the lining
{I did think, after I had cut all the lining peices out and stitched them together,
that I wasn't sure the blue poplin on the back of the pink cord would 'go'
but dismissed those thoughts very quickly as they were all ready to go
and I couldn't be bothered finding anything 'more match-able'}
I used some of that never-ending-bolt of denim that I got in the
op-shop for the other two outer panels....... *
I was going to do buttons at the waist but, as I hadn't reinforced the waist area at all
I thought I would just be safe and stick with velcro as per the instructions.......
the only thing I found tricky was that my denim and cord stretched quite readily
whereas my woven poplin didn't and I forgot to put the stretchy fabric down
{against the feed dog teeth} when I sewed it up so we had a few
'not-quite-as-even-as-they-should-be' seams.....
I think I am going to have a go at
a) a summer version for Evie and
b) a grown up version for me -
there are some extra instructions for the grown up version
{linked at the bottom of the children's pattern page}
but as far as I can see it only means doing a bit of modifying
using a tricky maths problem......
how hard could that be?
* just as a matter of interest, this skirt is reversible
so your inside fabric can be used as the outside fabric......
just thought I would let you know because it might make a difference
when you are choosing your lining.......
there are no clever tricks to making it reversible either....
it just is.....
thinking about how that works is like trying to work out
a tricky maths problem so don't ask me to explain.....
No comments:
Post a Comment