Friday, October 15, 2010

Help needed.....

OK, I need help, but this is a SERIOUSLY off topic kind of help I am asking for!

Next September our 'big' family (that is my siblings and their offspring) will be having a family reunion (fabby, fun times is what it will all be about!) and we have decided that we are all going to meet up together in Cairns!

There will be the U.S.A. contingent, the U.K. contingent and us from here!

So here is where I need your help.

As the one based in Australia, I am charged with the task of finding somewhere to stay up in that part of the world for our little 'get-together' ...... however, I have never been to that part of the world and wouldn't know one bit from the next.

So tell me, friends, where is a great place to stay in that part of the world? Somewhere that has fun stuff to do for kids (there will be at least 8 of them), is fairly close to the beach, maybe even somewhere we could all stay together (there will be at least 14 of us, maybe up to 18)....... OK, maybe that is a bit of a big ask!!

Anyway, all advice will be gratefully received as I am a little skeptical about travel guides which sometimes make the most mediocre places sound like heaven! I want honest-to-goodness advice and help here....

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Hi Deborah. I found your blog via Joy's Quilts.

We visited Cairns a few years back. We stayed with my parents in Atherton, but we did spend 1 night in a motel in Cairns. We stayed at Tree Tops Lodge, because Mum & Dad were with one of the organisations that owns the place. It was good for a family of five and included kitchen facilities, so we could cook for ourselves.

You could try using google maps to locate hotels and motels. The Esplanade area along the beachfront is lovely. You can't swim in the sea there, but they have free swimming pool (called the Lagoon), park and playground areas that are absolutely stunning all along there. I just had a quick look and saw quite a number of place for accommodation in that area.

Jane said...

Have you looked at rental properties? there's a possiblity you might find a big house you could all stay in together.
try lastminute.com
good luck!